For the 50 percent of you that forgot, Valentine’s Day is tomorrow. Tonight, people across the country will run from store to store trying to buy a box of chocolates to go with their last minute reservations. But why waste money on a box of delicious when you can make your own.
To me, nothing says super sweet (and super sexy) like chocolate covered strawberries. The mix of tart and sweet, and soft and crunchy make for the perfect Valentine’s Day treat. Plus, their fun to feed to your girl or guy. Whip these up tonight for a dream dessert tomorrow.
- 1 pint of strawberries, washed and dried
- 1 cup of chocolate chips (You can use any variety. I prefer dark chocolate for the taste and health benefits)
- 1 Tbsp shortening (You may want to skip this for calories, but you can’t. The shortening creates the perfect consistency and shine for dipping.)
- Mix chocolate chips and shortening in a microwavable bowl.
- Microwave for one minute, stopping every 20 seconds to mix the chocolate.
- Dip strawberries into the chocolate, swirling and rotating for perfect coverage.
- Place strawberries on a wax-covered plate. Place plate in the refrigerator till chocolate hardens (minimum 1 hour; maximum over night).
- Serve to your special someone (with a glass of dessert wine if over 21).
The simple chocolate covered strawberry is amazing, but try these tips to take it to the next level.
- Add extra crunch! After dipping, roll the strawberries in chocolate sprinkles, colored sugar, finely chopped nuts, or super crushed cookies for an extra crunch.
- Double the chocolate! After the chocolate hardens, dip some of the strawberry in a second chocolate, or drizzle a second type of chocolate over it.
Hugs and Hershey Kiss,