Very few people find similarities between school and summer. Well, except for the fact that they both begin with “s.” But one trait (or should I say treat) I’ve always associated with the two is ice cream sandwiches.
In elementary school, my mom would give me 50 cents one Friday a month so I could buy something sweet at lunch time. I’d always follow up my PB&J with and ICS. Licking the smooth vanilla ice cream off the sides and biting into that soft, chewy chocolate cookie was often the highlight of that particular day.
These days, however, I’m trying to watch my wallet and weight, and the in-store ice cream sandwiches are not friendly to either ($6 for 4four sandwiches?!). So tonight, with a little help from Pinterest, I decided to whip up my own frozen treats and I have to say, they were pretty damn sweet.
Homemade “Ice Cream” Sandwiches
- 1 package of pudding mix, any flavor
- 2% milk
- 1 container fat-free Cool Whip
- 1 package of graham crackers, any flavor
- Prepare pudding according to directions on the box. Make sure it is well blended
- Mix in container of Cool Whip. Let mixture sit in fridge for an hour.
- While mixture sets, break graham crackers in half.
- Scoop about 2 Tbsp. worth of mixture onto one cracker.
- Place second cracker on top and put sandwich on a tray.
- Continue until you run out of mixture or graham crackers.
- Place tray in the freezer for at least one hour. Once set, move sandwich to plastic bags.
- Take out and enjoy whenever you want a frozen sweet.
For a little something extra, roll the sandwich in sprinkles or chopped nuts before placing in the freezer.
What combinations of pudding and crackers will you try? Let us know!
For the 50 percent of you that forgot, Valentine’s Day is tomorrow. Tonight, people across the country will run from store to store trying to buy a box of chocolates to go with their last minute reservations. But why waste money on a box of delicious when you can make your own.
To me, nothing says super sweet (and super sexy) like chocolate covered strawberries. The mix of tart and sweet, and soft and crunchy make for the perfect Valentine’s Day treat. Plus, their fun to feed to your girl or guy. Whip these up tonight for a dream dessert tomorrow.
- 1 pint of strawberries, washed and dried
- 1 cup of chocolate chips (You can use any variety. I prefer dark chocolate for the taste and health benefits)
- 1 Tbsp shortening (You may want to skip this for calories, but you can’t. The shortening creates the perfect consistency and shine for dipping.)
- Mix chocolate chips and shortening in a microwavable bowl.
- Microwave for one minute, stopping every 20 seconds to mix the chocolate.
- Dip strawberries into the chocolate, swirling and rotating for perfect coverage.
- Place strawberries on a wax-covered plate. Place plate in the refrigerator till chocolate hardens (minimum 1 hour; maximum over night).
- Serve to your special someone (with a glass of dessert wine if over 21).
The simple chocolate covered strawberry is amazing, but try these tips to take it to the next level.
- Add extra crunch! After dipping, roll the strawberries in chocolate sprinkles, colored sugar, finely chopped nuts, or super crushed cookies for an extra crunch.
- Double the chocolate! After the chocolate hardens, dip some of the strawberry in a second chocolate, or drizzle a second type of chocolate over it.
Hugs and Hershey Kiss,