There are three distinct Christmas scents: evergreen, peppermint, and cookies!
Truth be told, my mom makes the best Christmas cookies. Some seem fancy while others are simpler, and they are all delicious. Unfortunately, given the variety of cookies and the amount of them, these treats take about two days to mix, bake, and decorate.
So after scouring the internet and making a few minor adjustments, I settled on Red and Green Oatmeal Cookies. They’re festive and, as an added bonus, low in calories (only 75 a cookie!).
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 1/2 cup Quaker Oats
- 1 cup All-Purpose flour
- 1/2 cup M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter, sugars, and apple sauce together until smooth.
- Add the egg whites and the vanilla extract, and continue mixing.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add the M&Ms and combine well.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto the baking sheet. Space the cookies about 2 inches apart from each other.
- Bake the cookies for 7 to 10 minutes. Yields about 24 cookies.
What’s your favorite Christmas cookie? Share the recipe below!